Mayer Robert Valerievich, Doctor of pedagogical sciences, associate professor, professor of the sub-department of physics and didactics of physics, Glazov Korolenko State Pedagogical Institute (25 Pervomayskaya street, Glazov, Russia); Honoured man of science of the Republic of Udmurtia, firstname.lastname@example.org
Background. Arrangement of a uniform system of natural scientific knowledge in consciousness of pupils requires establishment of inter- and intra-subject links for courses of physics, chemistry, biology and astronomy. It promotes a more complete understanding of the idea of unity of matter and various forms of its motion, formation of a scientific world outlook, development of dialectical and systemic thinking, the ability to synthesize and apply different scientific knowledge. Registration of the inter- and intra-subject links assumes the development of quantitative methods to assess proximity of different topics and disciplines. The research objective consists in “measurement” of the variety level and the share of concepts of the micro-world physics (MWP) in different sections of secondary school chemistry and physics courses.
Materials and methods. To resolve this problem the author used a content analysis consisting in choosing the markers corresponding to the given type of information and its count in the analyzed text. A special computer program was used, which analyzed the text file with the help a thesaurus dictionary and gave its profile including the list of terms and their usage frequency . Quantities of various symbols, designations and images of objects corresponding to MWP also were counted up.
Results. The study has determined the following for different sections of physics and chemistry: 1) the quantity of the MWP-concepts; 2) the total quantity of objects and the quantity of MWP-objects appearing in all pictures; 3) the total quantity of characters in mathematical formulas and the number of mathematical characters corresponding to objects and phenomena of the micro-world; 4) the number of molecules, atoms, ions and elementary particles designations in the text and chemical formulas; 5) the number of designations of electron states and inter–atomic links; 6) the total amount of the text; 7) the summary quantity of MWP-concepts; 8) the share of the educational information relating to MWP; 9) the variety coefficient of MWP-concepts; 10) the complexity of MWP-information per text volume unit.
Conclusions. The present research has established that: 1) the share of MWPknowledge in the chemistry course is significantly higher than in the physics course in whole and is higher than in the section of physics devoted to the micro-world phenomena; 2) the variety coefficient of MWP-concepts for the fifth section of the physics course (quantum and atomic physics) is significantly higher, than for the chemistry course; 3) in the chemistry textbook text and chemical formulas the concepts “atom”, “molecule” and “ion” (including “anion” and “cation”) are most often used.
1. Elagina V. S., Pokhlebaev S. M. Fundamental'nye issledovaniya [Fundamental research]. 2011, no. 12, pp. 25–30.
2. Rakhmatullin M. T. Mezhpredmetnye svyazi fiziki, khimii i biologii pri izuchenii fundamental'nykh estestvennonauchnykh teoriy v profil'noy shkole: dis. kand. ped. nauk:
13.00.02. [Interdisciplinary links of physics, chemistry and biology when studying fundamental natural scientific theories at a specialized school]. Sterlitamak, 2007.
3. Simonova M. Zh. Mezhpredmetnye svyazi fiziki i khimii pri formirovanii ponyatiya o veshchestve u uchashchikhsya osnovnoy shkoly: dis. kand. ped. nauk [Interdisciplinary links of physics and chemistry when forming the notion of substance in secondary school pupils: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of pedagogical sciences]. Moscow, 2000.
4. Belyaeva Zh. V. Obuchenie uchashchikhsya osnovnoy shkoly estestvennonauchnym metodam poznaniya na osnove mezhpredmetnykh svyazey biologii, khimii i fiziki: dis. kand. ped. nauk: 13.00.02 [Teaching natural scientific methods of cognition to secondary school pupils on the basis of interdisciplinary links of biology, chemistry and physics: dissertation to apply for the degree of the candidate of pedagogical sciences].Moscow, 2015.
5. Iudin A. A., Ryumin A. M. Kontent-analiz tekstov: komp'yuternye tekhnologii: ucheb. posobie [Content analysis of texts: computer technologies: teaching aid]. Nizhniy Novgorod, 2010, 37 p.
6. Mayer R. V. Kontent-analiz shkol'nykh uchebnikov po estestvenno-nauchnym distsiplinam: monogr.: elektron. nauch. izd. na kompakt-diske [Content analysis of school text books on natural scientific subjects: monograph: digital scientific edition on CD]. Glazov: Glazov. gos. ped. in-t, 2016, 13,00 Mb.
7. Gapontseva M. G., Fedorov V. A., Gapontsev V. L. Obrazovanie i nauka. Izvestiya
Ural'skogo otdeleniya Rossiyskoy akademii obrazovaniya [Education and science.Proceedings of Ural branch of the Russian Academy of Education]. 2009, no. 2 (59), pp. 3–22.
8. Semin Yu. N. Obrazovanie i nauka. Izvestiya Ural'skogo otdeleniya Rossiyskoy akademii obrazovaniya [Education and science. Proceedings of Ural branch of the Russian Academy of Education]. 2001, no. 3 (9), pp. 76–80.
9. Volovich M. B., Kabardin O. F., Lidin R. A., Alikberova L. Yu., Rokhlov V. S., Pyatunin V. B., Simagin Yu. A., Simonovich S. V. Spravochnik shkol'nika: 5–11 klassy [Reference book for pupils: 5–11 grades]. Moscow: AST-PRESS, 2001, 704 p.
10. Mayer R. V. Problemy sovremennogo pedagogicheskogo obrazovaniya. Pedagogika i psikhologiya [Problems of modern pedagogical education. Pedagogy and psychology]. 2016, iss. 52, part 7, pp. 256–263.
11. Mayer R. V. European Journal of Education Studies. 2016, vol. 2, iss. 9. DOI: 10.5281/ zenodo.168090